January is full of challenges! The fresh start of a new year has us heading to the gym, re-committing to wellness and opening ourselves up to the possibilities. But then for most of us we get hit smack in the face with the reality of winter cold that makes our complexion feel, well more complex!
Dry feeling tight skin can get so bad you can see flaking, cracking and for some of us (our CEO Julie) even eczema. Estheticians agree that for most of us in the winter with the heat on indoors and the outside feeling the chill your skin is going to experience some amount of dryness. So what can you do?
- Drink water: we know it is a big duh but seriously stay hydrated. Duh right? This is especially true if you are traveling a lot as airplanes can really do a number on your skin (as can overheated offices).
- Consider oil based products: we know this is hard for some of you but even those with oily skin can benefit. Oils will create a protective layer on the skin that retains more moisture than a cream or lotion. That’s why we use coconut oil in our concealer so your most sensitive skin doesn’t dry out (and it helps prevent creasing and cracking)
- Get a humidifier: it really makes a huge difference to have one running at night while you sleep. Many hotel chains now have them on offer if you are a road warrior.
- Avoid super hot water: hot showers and baths strip moisture. Try to keep things in a middle range.
- Cut down on peels and scrubs: if your facial skin is uncomfortably dry, avoid using harsh peels (things with ingredients like retinol), masks, and alcohol-based toners or astringents, all of which can strip vital oil from your skin.